Saturday, March 19, 2011

Double standards!!

X: Blah!
Y: Blah blah!
X: More blah... Btw how's G?
Y: She's fine.. whatever!
X: Something wrong?
Y: Nothing. Nothing is wrong. I wish I were born last century or something. At least I won't be feeling like an idiot.
X: (Giggle giggle and trying to keep a straight face) You are not an idiot. What happened anyway?
Y: I told you already.. Nothing happened! It's just...I should have been more careful. I was taking everyone for granted. Now I realize what an idiot I have been...being nice to everyone. You know, it is always the good guys that suffer all the time! ((Phone beeps.. SMS)).. Wait a sec.. (Types something into that phone) Girls have gone so bad these days. This girl I'm chatting with (Is that a grin?) .. she's my junior but she also talks with three more guys in my class. Three guys that I know of! God knows how many others are on her list! Hmph!
X: Oh.. I though that was G you were talking to all evening..?
Y: Nah.... She has to study. This is another one. New one. (Grins again!) She's cute and sweet and...and so innocent-looking! You'd never believe that she can be like that if you see her!
X: Like what??
Y: She is not good. She talks to like EVERYONE! Not just her.. All girls are like that these days. You can trust a guy these days...never a girl!
X: Hmmm... 
Y: Seriously! I'm not saying it because I'm a guy or something. Guys are really trustworthy. A girl will cheat you in a second! A guy can't do that.
X: Who cheated who now?
Y: No one.. But I'm telling you that's how things are these days. Take this girl for example. She is playing with so many people's feelings. Is this why her parents send her to college? Shame! (Pretty steamed now) I bet she'd dump all of them the minute she is out of this college. I mean does she even have a heart? When did girls become like this? There is no such thing as fidelity anymore! The minute you turn your back, she'd start talking with someone else. Sometimes your own friend. I cannot 
X: (Breaking in..) Yeah I'll vouch for that. I cannot see any "fidelity" now..here I mean!
Y: Exactly! Girls have Wait a minute! What do you mean 'here'??
X: Um.. OK wait. Maybe I need some clarification. What do you mean fidelity?
Y: You know... Commitment.. Faithfulness! 
X: But she is only talking right. Only friends, nothing serious types, right?
Y: Yeah....but still.... OK leave her. My point is a guy can NEVER do that. Girls are manipulative bitc..um sorry!
X: Ahem! A guy can never do that?! What is it that you are doing then? Your G has turned her back and you are "talking" to someone else! 
Y: Come on, you know I don't mean anything bad. Perfectly good intentions here! I talk freely with people that's all. I'm committed to one person, you know that! I know so many guys like me. They are all very good too! They are sociable but they don't have any bad intentions. They talk and maybe flirt with other girls a little bit but they are committed 100% to the one they are serious about. 
X: (Almost choking... OK deep breath!) But isn't she doing the exact same thing? That junior girl??
Y: No...(Thinking.. a little stumped looking).. but... 
X: She might be 100% committed to someone too! But she is flirting with others... Just like how the others - you guys- are flirting back with her. Is it not?
Y: Yes but she is a gUm.. I mean... (Smiling very strained-ly) Yeah you are right! (Now smiling through teeth. Urgh.. Horrible grimace!) Yeah... It's the same thing! Okay.. Gotta go now.. Bye!




I know a defeat when I see one and this is not a defeat. That guy practically ran from there. Why? Not because his opinion or views have changed. Because I was elder to him and so he did not want to fight back. He is being polite! $#%#@#!!!
And he is just the tip of the iceberg! They are so many "nice guys" like him out there. No no wait, good guys! I better learn the standard social norms to survive the "nice guys". So Lesson 1 - It is OK for a guy to be "Sociable" (read flirt) but not for a girl. (If she is "sociable" she'd be called a bitch apparently!)







5 comments:

  1. Good one..!! no matter how many people shouts man and women are equal eventually de just aren't. I saw a movie recently ( an old one though ) Astitva..!! It correctly revealed this male chauvinist society

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... So true! I know they can't be equal all the time, but the male chauvinism whatever shouldn't become insulting..at least!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm..very wel expressed!Its not only abt gal n boy flirting behavioural patterns...4 evry human transaction(social especially),there is a moral norm defined by the "society";man being a social animal is supposed to abide by it.But tendency of every soul on this planet is to proclaim those norms only whn pointing out the flaws in others..but not whn evaluating self!Althou d heart knws dat he/she is wrong..the mind wont accpt(Forget abt announcing to d world tht they r morally wrong).Add to it ego /self righteousness etc etc.Faults r to be found only in others nt in ourselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoever the guy in this is, he is talking adolescent talk. here's my take on this;

    every relationship has a level of trust. sometimes it could be a movie with another friend, sometimes a hug. There are cases when u tell one person that u have kissed his/her partner and u might get the reply "nah! it can't be... u must have imagined!"

    when u are vulnerable and insecure abt ur relationship with her/him, you are constantly waiting for something to come up and screw up the relationship. in the case above, its the other guy talking to the girlfriend. When finally that moment comes up, u say, u always knew she is a b**** or he is an a*****e. and then come the statements; All girls are like this, all guys only want one thing, etc etc.

    to me it always comes down to how much trust and love you have between you two.

    And coming to the other aspect, of flirting with another when u already have a partner, I don see any harm in that. Let it be a girl or a guy, it dunnt matter. some ppl are flirty by nature or some have tried a lot before actually getting good at it. some are even addicted. my point is u already knew all this abt the person before u committed to him/her! then why does it surprise you??

    another valid point, if ur partner is flirting with someone else, then obviously the other person has some charm that u don't. At least not anymore. i wud say let them enjoy that. Its just flirting.

    My perspective ppl!!! :) no violent retorts!!

    and anyway, don u think its too much to use "male chauvinist society" based on this immature, adolescent conversation??

    ReplyDelete
  5. @harika: Well said! It is a simple blame game after all! We go to any lengths to ignore the fact that we might be guilty of the same fault as the one we are accusing of someone else.

    @cvsr: Believe me, it was no adolescent talk. Also, I think you’ve got the picture wrong. There are two different girls here. The guy is feeling “insecure” or whatever you called it about the girl he is simply flirting with, not the one he is committed to. My point is, if the guy is allowed to flirt when in a committed relationship, why not the girl? (And the girl here is not even in any relationship!!) I think you might have a point though – “...then obviously the other person has some charm that u don't.” A guy can never accept this fact as easily as a girl can and that’s why he gets sulky about it. It’s probably not the male chauvinistic thing! A stupid bloated male ego more like! :-P

    Anyway! I’m happy to hear views on this!

    ReplyDelete

//