Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Inception...finally!



I was a little busy when Inception was running in theaters and I regretted a lot later that I missed it. So I had to wait till the dvd release. I got it now and finally watched it! It was superb!! There are so, sooo many good reviews out there about this movie, and it is already one of the top ten movies in imdb. So I wont waste time gushing how good the movie is. I just want to dwell on some of the tiny details a geek could not help but notice.

  • I wish I knew the technical details of the Inception thing. I mean the audience only gets to know what it does but not 'how'. They have little tubes taped to their wrists and that's it! They immediately start dreaming. 
  • There are two important people in those dreams (movie is all about dreams y'know) - the subject and the dreamer. But it is the subject's 'world' the dreamer gets to see. I mean I would have thought it is the other way round. That is how normal dreams are at least. I guess it's a part of the equipment's functionality. Or maybe that is one of the main functions of it! 
  • There are 'levels' of dreams; dreams within the dreams. This concept is lost on me. And its theory sounded a bit hypothetical. I believe that human subconscious is really powerful yet it is very vague. The concept of dream within a dream should imply that subconscious has another subconscious - a sub-subconscious. This is a little presumptuous. Presumptuous especially because of the time rule of these dreams... 1st level : 10 secs = 2nd level 3mins = 3rd level 1 hour. I can agree that 5 min in real world = 1 hour in a dream; mind works faster and "discovers" a lot on the way. But can you really apply the same rule to second and third levels of dreaming? I don't think so. The 'depth' of subconscious, I feel, is a totally different thing. It only deals with depth - you have to dig deeper to find things inside. But is it really possible that as you dig deeper, your mind gets more powerful? Either presumptuous or I should learn Freudian theories and then come back to comment. 
  • Sedated people dying in that dream would be brain dead when they wake up. This, again, must have something to do with the machine or the sedative which should have some kind of effect on the brain directly when dreaming. Otherwise this theory is so not true. I had two dreams in which I died! I'm not joking!! That dream used to end there. I don't remember waking up either. I used to scared like hell though, but I never used to tell anyone because these people worry a lot! 


[[Someone who saw this movie said it was an original concept and this movie is the first of its kind. No, there were other movies like this before. Vanilla sky and Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind almost the same concept. ]]]






3 comments:

  1. firs thing first :-
    1) Darling they themeselves don't know the technicallity in it 2) it is impossible to enter somebody's mind through dreams and then make them believe that it is real

    3) why on earth do you think that much, just enjoy the movie some of the details were just beautiful and real, and it was entertaining till the end...

    At least i go to movie to entertain to get lost in that world and finally come out of the theatre thinking this definitly isn't money waste...!! And see how many of people were fooled into believing that this is an original concept and that it can really happen ???? But hell you should have watched it in theatre

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you here... I too think a lot while watching movies. Esp, ones like Inception.

    I am not sure if inception "can be" a true concept but dream interference definitely is. I heard in some article on rediff ages ago, that when anesthesia was not an option, even Indian surgeons used to hypnotize ppl to kill off the connection of specific body parts to their brain. Then they operate and once the person is out of operation, he just sees the stitches and doesn’t feel a bit of pain except of the stitches.

    I don see much difference in that and the concept shown in inception.

    What does "hypnotize" mean? Final output of hypnotizing a person is making him do what I want him to do. Now think of this as a 2D version of brain control. So, I am able to make him do what I want him to do-- instructing stuff to his brain. Taking it to 3D level (2D --> 3D), I will make him SEE what I want him to see. A deeper and more intense hypnotizing effect and that could happen.

    Now where have we landed?? In my projection of his reality!! While my mind is busy creating what he is seeing right now, I may lose the main control of that part of my mind which is actually keeping him hypnotized. Here's where the sedative comes into picture. A sedated mind consumes less of my energy than a fully active one.

    The levels of dreaming shown in the movie are just .. how can I put it... hmmm.. the second level is just a reinforcement for my subject to believe that the first level is not a dream and it is reality...

    Just imagine, I have hypnotized you, and after a while I tell you u that I have stopped hypnotizing and you are on your own... you would just feel normal and move around as usual. But.. remember?? It is me who told you that you are not hypnotized anymore!!! In reality you are still in my control. I just chose to make you feel free to create your world. Basically, you helping me create the world you are seeing!!! And what’s even more convincing to you is that, since you are creating my projections for you… you don’t even doubt that it is not real!!! You take thinks like gravity, blue sky, etc etc to be granted. Try to bend them… you are questioning the reality you are in. Meaning you are questioning my projections for you!!

    I think I am gonna write a sequel to this comment!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Arina..
    I know nobody knows the technical details of it.. but I simply wished I knew them. You know, like how I also feel I was studying in Hogwarts!!
    Like Sandeep said, this thing is a new dimension to hypnosis. So partially possible. At least I'd like to think so.
    I did enjoy this movie...a lot! But this is the kind of movie you cannot forget in a hurry. It lingers. Remember Liar, Liar..??? ;-)Gross example but something of that sort.

    @$@ndY
    You should finish the sequel too.. I did not completely understand that last paragraph.
    My problem with levels of dreaming is the time thing. A bit too optimistic about the power of human brain :-)
    And that's a very good hypnosis theory.
    Is it real about those surgeons? I have read a lot of stories about hypnotising but I'm not sure about the authenticity of those articles...

    ReplyDelete

//